Hello, BPFM readers! Today, we’re going to explore a quintessential Hungarian dish that has been enjoyed for generations – Chicken Paprikash with Dumplings, also known as Csirkepaprikás Nokedlivel. This rich and flavorful dish combines tender chicken with a creamy paprika sauce and homemade dumplings (nokedli) or gnocchi.
Living in Hungary as an English speaker, it can be quite a challenge to shop for ingredients when you don’t speak or read the Hungarian language. To make your shopping experience easier, we’ve provided the list of ingredients in both English and Hungarian. So, let’s get started and bring a taste of Hungary to your kitchen!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4 csontos, bőrös csirkecomb)
- Salt and pepper (só és bors)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (2 evőkanál növényi olaj)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 nagy vágott hagyma)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 apróra vágott fokhagymagerezd)
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (sweet) (2 evőkanál édesnemes magyar paprika)
- 1 cup chicken broth (1 csésze csirkehúsleves)
- 1 cup sour cream (1 csésze tejföl)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (1 evőkanál rétesliszt)
For the dumplings (nokedli):
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (2 csésze rétesliszt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (1/2 teáskanál só)
- 2 large eggs (2 nagy tojás)
- 3/4 cup water (3/4 csésze víz)
For the chicken:
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook until browned on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the Hungarian paprika and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Return the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
For the dumplings (nokedli):
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the eggs and water. Stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Using a wet spoon or a nokedli maker, drop small pieces of dough (about the size of a marble) into the boiling water. Cook the dumplings until they float to the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
To finish the dish:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and all-purpose flour. Stir this mixture into the skillet with the chicken.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over the dumplings (nokedli) or gnocchi.
This traditional Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with Dumplings (Nokedli) is a hearty and flavorful meal that will transport your taste buds straight to the heart of Hungary. Enjoy this comforting dish with your family and friends, and don’t be surprised if they ask for seconds! Pair it with a crisp Hungarian white wine or a full-bodied red to enhance the overall dining experience. Happy cooking, and savor the rich and delicious flavors of Hungarian cuisine!